The Wave 7 ships for the X-Wing miniatures game are out, including the new K-Wing bomber for the Rebels.
It is easily my favourite among the new ships, both because I have a soft spot for the Rebels and because its Imperial counterpart, the TIE-Punisher, feels too close to the TIE-Bomber, visually and in the game.
So my K-Wing is ordered and should arrive soon. Time to try flying the new Rebel bomber in a tournament. But what kind of list would work?
K-Wing Star Pilot – Miranda Doni
Miranda Doni appears to be the pilot of choice in most ideas for K-King lists. It’s not hard to see why:
- Her abilitiy to spend shields to up the damage makes her an excellent weapons platform.
- Her ability to regenerate shields by trading in damage dice makes her an excellent end-game-pilot, doubly so given the K-Wing’s turret.
This in mind, here is a fully souped-up Miranda Doni-build I want to try.
- K-Wing – Miranda Doni (29) with Twin Laser Turret (6), Recon Specialist (3), Homing Missiles (5), Seismic Charges (2) and Extra Munitions (2)
It may be a bit much (47 points in a ship), but I hopefully get to try all the different K-Wing tricks and new toys.
A Homing Missile with 5 dice (with Miranda spending a shield) and no evade tokens? Ouch!
Double-tap Laser Turrent with double Focus tokens? A nice end game, allowing Miranda to generate a shield each turn and still deal reasonable damage.
Airen Cracken & the Bandit Wingmen
Miranda is made for end game wars of attrition (I believe).
The rest of my list is made to get her there and eliminate the kind of threads that could take her out with concentrated fire.
Going with the missile-theme, these three z-95 Headhunters, complete with Airen Cracken and his useful lend-others-an-action-ability should provide both an early-game punch to take out a thread quickly and leave me with a few blockers to make life hard for anyone chasing Miranda.
- Z-95 – Airen Cracken (19) with Cluster Missiles (4)
- Z-95 – Bandit Squadron Pilot (12) with Ion Pulse Missiles (3)
- Z-95 – Bandit Squardon Pilot (12) with Advanced Homing Missiles (3)
Missiles in a Tournament? Can it work?
Conventional wisdom has it, missiles and torpedos in X-Wing are rarely worth it, especially in tournaments.
The K-Wing and TIE-Punisher seems largely designed around trying to change that, and with upgrades such as Extra Munititions, they at least get a few more shots.
This list likely isn’t going to win … say .. a regional championship, but with a heavy alpha punch and a solid end-game plan, I am interested to find out what the K-Wing can bring.
Let me know what you think!